St. Michael image on royal honor roils pro-BLM Brits; petition says angel crushing Satan must change
Angry Brits want a royal order founded in 1818 under King George III redesigned because the image of St. Michael crushing the head of Satan reminds them of a Minneapolis police officer kneeling on George Floyd.
A Change.org petition has garnered over 4,000 signatures demanding an alteration to The Order of St. Michael and St. George awarded to diplomats and senior Foreign Office officials serving abroad.
The U.K. Guardian, which first reported the activist’s claims, cited three ranks for the honor: Knight Grand Cross (GCMG); Knight Commander (KCMG); and Companion (CMG).
Supporters of the petition on the campaign page opined:
- “This image is vile & should be illegal.”
- “This has to go. No further discussion.”
- “This is a horrifying image of a white person dominating a black person.”
- “Everything like this has got to go right now!”
- “This hateful image perpetuates white domination over black and is completely inappropriate.”
- “It’s a horrible image of white supremacy.”