© Collage: “Voice of Russia”
South Korea has deployed cruise missiles on the North Korean border, missiles that can hit targets anywhere in North Korea. This came in a statement for journalists by an official of the South Korean Defence Ministry, Kim Min Sok.
According to him, Seoul will also speed up the development of ballistic missiles with an effective range of 800 kilometres and will set up a national missile defence system.
The statement came in the wake of Pyongyang’s underground nuclear test on the February 12. North Korea’s test has triggered bitter criticism from several countries, as well as the UN Security Council.
But Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov also urged that North Korea’s nuclear test should not be used as a pretext for whipping up war hysteria and that the six-way talks on denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula should instead be resumed.
South Korea will speed up the development of a ballistic missile with an effective range of up to 800 kilometres that will be able to reach any target in North Korea.
A spokesman for the Defence Ministry has told a news briefing in Seoul that South Korea will also try to create at an early date a system of detecting and wiping out North Korean missiles.
The moves some as Seoul’s response to Pyongyang’s third nuclear test on the 12th of this month.
North Korea has come under bitter criticism be several countries and the UN Security Council for the test. But Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov also urged that North Korea’s latest nuclear test should not be used as a pretext for whipping up war hysteria, and that the six-way talks on denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula should be resumed instead.
The UN Security Council on Tuesday “strongly condemned” North Korea’s third nuclear test and vowed to take action against Pyongyang, the president of the Security Council said.
“The members of the Security Council strongly condemned this test, which is a grave violation of Security Councilresolutions,” South Korean Foreign Minister Kim Sung-hwan, whose country is president of the council this month, told reporters. He said the council would now consider “appropriate measures.”
US Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice said that Washington and its allies intended to “augment the sanctions regime” already in place due to Pyongyang’s 2006 and 2009 atomic tests.
N.Korea faces ‘increasing isolation and pressure’: US envoy
North Korea will face “increasing isolation and pressure” because of its third nuclear test, the US envoy to the United Nations, Susan Rice, said after the UN Security Council condemned Pyongyang.
Rice told reporters the 15-member body would start immediate talks on new sanctions.
North Korea’s actions “will not be tolerated and they will be met with North Korea’s increasing isolation and pressure under United Nations sanctions,” she said.
North Korea is a “serious threat” to the United States and Washington must be prepared to deal with it, US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta warned Tuesday after Pyongyang conducted a nuclear test.
“We saw what North Korea has done these last few weeks with a missile test and now a nuclear test,” the outgoing defense secretary said at a farewell ceremony. “North Korea represents a serious threat to the US. We’ve got to be prepared to deal with that.”
The UN Security Council on Tuesday opened emergency talks on North Korea’s nuclear test, as world powers called for swift action against Pyongyang.
The 15-nation council passed a resolution last month threatening “significant action” against North Korea in the event of a new nuclear test or missile launch.
Russian President’s aide Yuri Ushakov has called on the international community to condemn and oppose North Korea’s nuclear tests.
Mr. Ushakov voiced Moscow’s demand that Pyongyang stop its “illegal activities” and scrapped its rocket and atomic program.
He called on North Korea to abide by the Non-Proliferation Treaty and IAEA provisions, saying that the Russian intelligence were closely monitoring Korea’s nuclear program and kept President Putin up to date on any new A-bomb tests on the Korean Peninsila.
North Korea’s Foreign Ministry said its nuclear test on Tuesday was an act of self-defence in response to hostility from the United States and that it will take stronger follow-up actions if Washington keeps up its belligerence.
“This nuclear test was only the first response we took with maximum restraint,” an unnamed spokesman for the ministry, which acts as Pyongyang’s official voice to the outside world, said in a statement carried by the official KCNA news agency.
“If the United States continues to come out with hostility and complicates the situation, we will be forced to take stronger, second and third responses in consecutive steps.”
Voice of Russia, TF, TASS, RIA, Interfax