Last updated at 3:06 PM on 16th June 2011
- House Democrats were planning to meet today over Weiner
- Former porn star told how Congressmen asked her to lie about sex emails
Disgraced Democrat Anthony Weiner has told friends he will resign in the wake of his sexting scandal.
He apparently made the decision after having ‘long discussions’ with his pregnant wife, Huma Abedin, who arrived back in the U.S. from the Middle East and Africa this week.
Democrats were also planning to meet today to decide his fate as another set of sordid allegations emerged.
Going: Disgraced Democrat Anthony Weiner has told friends he will resign in the wake of his sexting scandal
A private meeting of senior Congressional Democrats would have considered stripping Weiner of his committee appointments.
But the meeting scheduled for noon would have been powerless to force him out, despite calls to go from House Leader Nancy Pelosi and the President.
The news comes as former porn actress Ginger Lee last night revealed how Weiner asked to lie about a series sexual emails he sent her.
Return: This blurred video still shows Weiner’s wife Huma Abdein driving back through Washington after her foreign trip. The pair had ‘long discussions’ about his resignation
Lee said that as the Congressman’s lewd behaviour began to emerge earlier this month, he contacted her to ask that she hide the truth.
She and Weiner exchanged about 100 emails between March and June, beginning after Lee posted a supportive statement about the congressman on her blog.
She said they mostly discussed politics, but he would often turn the conversation to sex.
Business: Ms Abedin had been visiting the Middle East and Africa on a diplomatic foreign trip with her boss Hillary Clinton
Humiliating: Weiner has faced increased pressure from Republicans and Democrats to resign his seat but has defiantly refused until now
TWITTER TIMELINE: HOW ‘WEINERGATE’ PLAYED OUT
- January 1999 – Elected to the House for New York’s 9th district
- July 2010 – Marries Huma Abedin
- May 4-5 2011 – ‘Pussy’, chest and ‘me’ images sent to new unnamed woman
- May 15 – Meagan Broussard receives ‘bulge’ picture
- May 27 – Infamous boxer short picture sent to college student from Weiner’s Twitter account – and seen by all 40,000 plus followers
- June 1 – College student Gennette Cordova denies ever meeting Weiner
- June 2 – Weiner tells reporters ‘can not say with certitude’ if crotch shot was him
- June 2 – Later admits photo ‘may be’ him, but ‘taken out of context’
- June 3 – cancels speaking engagement
- June 5 – New evidence emerges linking Weiner to the tweet
- June 6 – Two women come forward claiming Weiner sent them explicit pictures and Facebook messages The 21-year-old Seattle college student says the episode has jeopardised her academic career, embarrassed her family and shattered her privacy.
- June 7 – Democrats start to turn on Weiner
- June 8 – Emerges Wife Huma is pregnant
- June 11 – Police quiz 17-year-old Weiner conversed with
- June 14 – Democrats meet and Nancy Pelosi calls for resignation
- June 14 – Obama says ‘ he would resign’ over scandal
- June 15 – Porn star Ginger Lee tells all in news conference
- June 16 – Weiner resigns
‘I have wardrobe demands too. I need to highlight my package,’ Weiner wrote Lee, in an email read aloud at the news conference by Lee’s attorney.
Lee said she did not send sexually suggestive messages to Weiner.
‘Any time that he would take our communications in a sexual direction, I did not reciprocate,’ she said.
Weiner sent Lee an email in early June after the photo of his crotch was sent out on his Twitter account, and ‘he asked me to lie’ about their contact, she said.
Lee said she put out a three-sentence statement on the matter at his request. She did not elaborate but said she was coming forward now to tell the truth and to deny reports that she was in an on-line sexual relationship with him.
Weiner has acknowledged sending sexually explicit messages and suggestive photos of himself to various women and then lying about it.
He has taken a two-week leave from the House and is reported to be in treatment at an undisclosed location – telling friends he wanted to speak with his pregnant wife, Huma Abedin, before deciding whether to resign.
She returned to Washington early yesterday from a trip to Africa with her boss, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
A House aide described the leadership meeting set for today on condition of anonymity because officials had not authorized a public discussion of their plans.
House Democratic leaders could decide to strip Weiner of his assignments on the Energy and Commerce committees. The House Ethics Committee on Monday began a preliminary inquiry that could bloom into a full investigation if Weiner ignores calls to resign.
Nightclub dancer Ginger Lee was the latest in a series of women who said they received sexually charged messages from the 46-year-old congressman. Lee, from La Vergne, Tenn., said she and Weiner exchanged about 100 emails between March and June, after Lee posted a supportive statement about the congressman on her blog.
He then contacted her on Twitter, Lee said. They mostly discussed politics, but he would often turn the conversation to sex, she said.
‘I have wardrobe demands too. I need to highlight my package,”‘ Weiner wrote Lee, in an email read aloud at the news conference by Lee’s attorney, Gloria Allred.
Asked to Lie: Former porn star Ginger Lee describes how Anthony Weiner asked her to lie about sexual emails he sent her
Beautiful: Miss Lee has had an interesting past as a former porn star
More of Weiner’s lewd poses emerged this week after a picture of his crotch that he sent on Twitter first emerged