FREDDIE GRAY: Gov. Declares State Of Emergency; Activates National Guard (Video) – Legal chief hopes Baltimore violence was a ‘one-time aberration’

DEVELOPING: Maryland’s governor called in the National Guard late Monday, hours after rioting gangs assaulted law enforcement officials, wounding 15, set a patrol car on fire, and looted shops in a downtown area of Baltimore.

Gov. Larry Hogan supplied a announcement late Monday stating he was announcing a state of emergency and calling in the National Guard. Baltimore’s mayor, Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, declared a 10pm-5am curfew would be enforced starting Tuesday.

She also stated emergency authorities were continuously frustrated as they attempted to reestablish calm and that firefighters attempting to put out a blaze at a CVS store were obstructed by someone who cut holes in a hose attached to a fire hydrant.

Simultaneously, the Baltimore Orioles delayed Monday night’s home game with the Chicago White Sox, stating the choice accompanied “consultation with police.”

CVS Health, that had one store looted and set on fire, declared it was shutting down “some stores” in Baltimore.

Baltimore authorities stated they had “reports” of numerous people within the Mondawmin Mall looting and wrecking property.

A law enforcement spokesman stated Monday evening 15 police officers had been hurt in the assault and that 2 continued to be hospitalized, with the others treated and released.

The rioting, looting and dangers of further violence followed the funeral service of Freddie Gray, who died April 18, one week after appearing hurt when in police custody. Gray, 25, was getting transferred in a law enforcement official’s vehicle when he endured injuries that turned out deadly. On Monday, law enforcement stated an online call was given for a “purge” at 3 p.m. ET, beginning at Mondawmin Mall and finishing in the downtown area. The type of threat is based mostly on a film called “The Purge,” whose storyline includes widespread lawlessness.

“It’s a group of lawless individuals.”

– Baltimore Police Capt. Eric Kowalczyk

Tweets from the Baltimore Police Department and media video revealed roving gangs followed through on the online threat. One Twitter dispatch stated “a group of juveniles in the area of the mall were blocking traffic, and there were reports of rock throwing. A police captain stated at a press meeting said 7 police officers had been hurt, one taken unconscious and many enduring broken bones.

Looters were seen hauling goods out of a number of businesses around the mall, as armored SWAT cars were on the scene. The FBI was helping in the investigation of threats against law enforcement, and police officers from Prince George’s County and Washington DC were routed to Baltimore to help. In the meantime, local University of Maryland-Baltimore has shut down its campus, as have many area businesses. Law enforcement suggested parents to get their children home to safety.

“We have seven officers who were injured during the course of this,” stated Baltimore Police Capt. Eric Kowalczyk.”They have broken bones, one of them is unresponsive. This is not all right. Our police officers went out to that predicament to make sure that the people who reside in that community were safe and all of us are going to proceed to do what we can to make sure that those folks stay safe.

“It’s a group of lawless individuals,” Kowalczyk said of the rioters. “What we know is that they are a group of criminals with no regard for the people in the community.”

A law enforcement source shared with news media several gangs, including Black Gorilla Family, Bloods and Crips all had “entered into a partnership to take out law enforcement officers.”

Activists from the Nation of Islam professed responsibility for getting the gangs together, informing reporters that they brokered a bargain between the loathed enemies.

“I can say with honesty those brothers demonstrated they can be united for a common good,” Nation of Islam minister Carlos Muhammad told News media. “At the rally, they made the call that they must be united on that day. It should be commended.”

The U.S. Justice Department has launched an investigation into Gray’s death, and the White House routed a agent to Monday’s funeral.

6 Baltimore police officers were suspended after Gray’s public arrest and injury, but a probe into the situation is continuing. His attorney, Bill Murphy, explained to mourners at Monday’s funeral at New Shiloh Baptist church that the community will proceed to demand officials for answers.

“This is our moment to get at truth. This is our moment to get it right,” Murphy stated.

Gray’s death has instigated near-daily protests. Gray was detained after officers hunted him down through a West Baltimore neighborhood and dragged him into a police van. Murphy has stated his spine was practically severed. Police stated Gray was detained after he made eye contact with officials and ran away. Police officers held him down, handcuffed him and crammed him into the van. While inside, he had become mad and leg cuffs were put on him, police have stated.

Gray requested for medical help several times, starting before he was set in the van. After a 30-minute ride that included 3 stops, paramedics were called.

Experts have not mentioned how or when Gray’s spine was damaged.

Law enforcement addmmited Friday that Gray should have got medical attention on the spot where he was detained — prior to being placed inside a police transport van handcuffed and without a seat belt, a breach of the police department’s policy.

On Saturday, as protests went on to turn ugly, Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake verified that the protesters were being given “space” to “destroy.”

“I worked with the police and instructed them to do everything that they could to make sure that the protesters were able to exercise their right to free speech,” the mayor stated. “It’s a very delicate balancing act because while we tried to make sure that they were protected from the cars and the other things that were going on, we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well.”


Riot-torn Baltimore has been put under curfew following Monday night’s violence which saw 19 buildings set ablaze and at least 230 arrests. More than 3,000 police backed up by National Guard officers have taken up posts in front of shops and hospitals, although as the curfew began youths were once again on the streets. Baltimore issues…
Translate »