Out of control 21-TON Chinese rocket is falling to Earth and nobody knows where it could land: Fears it could shower debris over New York, Madrid and Beijing
- China launched its Long March 5b rocket could have an uncontrolled reentry
- The rocket launched last week to deliver the first modular of a space station
- Officials found the core stage is moving slowly and uncontrolled toward Earth
- Long March 5b was initially set to land in a pre-designed spot in the ocean
- However, experts warn large chunks could fall on inhabited areas
Diamond: Huge Rocket Booster Is Set For Uncontrolled Reentry Following Chinese Space Station Launch, will smack earth in the coming days
Long March 5B core to reenter Earth’s atmosphere in the coming days
Nobody knows where.
-Rocket booster is 30 meters x 5 meters
-It is tumbling now
-orbits the earth every 90 minutes
-10 percent chance to hit a populated area.
-Its current weight with no fuel etc is 21 metric tons
-pieces as large as 5 tons are expected to hit the Earth’s surface. (an American pickup truck weighs 2 to 3 tons)
-most people on the forum are too young to remember the re-entry of Skylab but it was huge back in the day, on the news every day. This was 40 years ago and it was the largest thing ever to re-enter the atmosphere. This new booster is way bigger.
It should make for some spectacular viewing as parts of it burn.